Let’s face it – we all have things that keep us busy whether school, work, or family. Sometimes, it seems almost impossible to fit a good workout into your busy schedule! But we all have the same 24 hours in the day, and the secret to using your time wisely is a little creativity.
Fit Tip: Workout While Getting Ready in the Morning
The first way to sneak fitness into your daily life is to work out while you get ready for the day. Do you have a few minutes to spare while you are getting ready in the morning upon waking up? Use those few minutes and make them count!
I like to sneak fitness into my morning by doing squats and calf raises while brushing my teeth. Brushing your teeth is something that you must do each morning, so why not kill two birds with one stone and throw some squats and calf raises into the mix?
Don’t forget to use safe, correct form! Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Stand tall with your feet hip width apart, with one arm brushing your teeth and the other arm placed on your hip.
- Start to lower your body by pushing your hips back, bending your knees and pushing your body weight into your heels.
- As you lower into the squat, you may raise the free hand out in front of you for balancing. Keep a neutral spine at all times and never let your knees go over your toes.
- The lower body should be parallel with the floor and your chest should be lifted at all times not rounded.
- Pause, then lift up in a controlled movement to the starting position – all while brushing your teeth!
- Stand again with your feet hip width apart.
- Place hand on support (a towel rack can be helpful!) or hip for balance as you use the other hand for brushing.
- Raise heels by extending ankles as high as possible.
- Lower heels by bending ankles until calves are stretched. Repeat.
Since many dentists agree that 2 minutes is the ideal length of time you should brush your teeth, you can set a timer on your phone to get in as many squats and calf raises as you can.
No matter how you sneak your morning exercises in, applaud yourself for getting it done by refueling your body with a delicious Smoothie! You can even keep the a.m. efficiencies going by enjoying your orange juice and lean protein in the Slim-N-Trim Orange-Vanilla Smoothie for 208 calories. It makes the perfect meal replacement; especially when you are having a busy morning to begin with and need to refuel quickly.
You can kick-start your new fitness habits with Smoothie King’s #ChangeAMeal Challenge Just change one meal with a Meal Replacement Smoothie to see how much you change! Share photos of your #ChangeAMeal experience on social media for the chance to win Smoothie King gift cards!