You’ve heard breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but for busy parents, it can also be a very stressful meal to coordinate when school starts up again. Trying to get the kids up, fed, dressed and out the door on time isn’t an easy feat, especially for any parent who is also attempting to do the same for themselves. But studies show the importance of a good breakfast:
- Children who consume breakfast regularly are more likely to be meeting their nutritional needs throughout the day and have a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI).
- Plus, there are also studies linking a healthy breakfast and children’s cognitive performance in school.
A good breakfast doesn’t always need to be labor intensive, but you’ll want to think twice about your old standby of a cold cereal meal. Sadly, most of the cold cereals out there are loaded with sugar. Between the artificial colors, tons of sugars and refined white flours, you could just be giving the kids a quick sugar rush.
There’s good news! You don’t need to cook for hours in the morning to start the family off with a better breakfast. In honor of Better Breakfast Month this September, here are a few of my favorite easy, nutritious breakfast options.
- Greek Yogurt with berries: Nothing is simpler than this option! Greek yogurt is high in protein, which will give the children (and you) consistent energy to get through the morning. Adding in the berries will also provide fiber, vitamins and antioxidants, all important for brain health!
- Instant oatmeal with a spoonful of peanut butter: Even instant oatmeal will give you and the kids a lot more health benefits over cold cereal options. Adding in the peanut butter provides good protein and fats to keep you going throughout your day. Add a sliced banana for some natural sweetness.
- Smoothie King Kids’ Cups: This is a perfect option to grab on the go. The Strawberry Bluegurt Blitz also contains Greek yogurt, and all Kids Cups Smoothies include a multivitamin enhancer. Now you have a quick, filling, nutritious breakfast, and you didn’t even get a spoon dirty at home!
- Hardboiled Eggs: This is a great option to make ahead of time or even over the weekend. You can grab them from the fridge in the morning and have a perfect protein option for breakfast. Invest a few dollars into an egg slicer, and the slices will make the meal even more kid-friendly. Pair the egg slices with an apple for some fiber, and there you have it – a complete, simple breakfast.
I always want people to know that healthy meals don’t have to be time consuming or over-complicated. Taking just a few extra minutes to grab these healthy options will set you and your family up for a successful day!
What are your easy, nutritious breakfast tips? Share them on social media with #BetterBreakfastMonth!