Exotic New Smoothies Aim to Globalize Palates
Smoothie King’s Smoothies Around the World Incorporate Unique Fruits, Including Açaí, Goji, and Mangosteen
August 23, 2005
KENNER, LA — Step aside strawberries and bananas, a new assortment of exotic fruits and herbs are coming to town. Smoothie King dares consumers’ tastebuds to pack their bags with its new “Smoothies Around the World” line of smoothies made from exotic fruits and herbs. Smoothies Around the World offer the opportunity to experience unique flavors native to far-off locales, including the Amazon, China, Indonesia, and the Himalayas.
“With Smoothies Around the World, we’re taking our knowledge of blending the perfect smoothie and incorporating exotic fruits and herbs to create a taste that goes beyond the ordinary,” said Steve Kuhnau, founder of Smoothie King, the premier smoothie bar and nutritional lifestyle center in the industry. “In addition to the fresh taste, each of the new smoothies are all-natural and nutrient-dense.”
New smoothie flavors include: Açaí Adventure, Green Tea Tango, Passion Passport, Go Goji, and Mangosteen Madness. Smoothie King is the first smoothie bar to offer goji and mangosteen on its menu.
Along with a unique taste, these fruits have been reported to provide the following health qualities:
- Açaí is extremely high in antioxidants and an excellent source of omega-6 fatty acids, which can help to increase stamina and improve concentration. Açaí has a taste similar to a combination of berries and chocolate.
- Green tea is high in antioxidants, and contains high levels of phoyphenols, which can help control blood pressure. Green tea tastes fresh, light, or grassy, with a touch of sweetness.
- Passion fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin A and C, is rich in iron and potassium, and tastes both sweet and tart.
- Goji, which tastes like a mix of cherries and cranberries, is a good source of antioxidants, minerals, and amino acids, and can help to improve metabolism and increase energy levels.
- Mangosteen contains a high number of xanthones – a very powerful antioxidant – and can help support and strengthen the immune system and improve digestion. Mangosteen’s taste is described as having a hint of strawberries, kiwi, pomegranate, or grape.
Smoothies Around the World are available at Smoothie King stores nationwide.
Smoothie King created the nutritional smoothie more than 30 years ago and today offers a variety of smoothies to help individuals meet their nutritional lifestyle needs.
Smoothies Around the World Fact Sheet
Ask people on the street what “goji” is and they may say the title of the panned movie featuring Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez. In fact, many of the fruits and herbs that play starring roles in Smoothie King’s Smoothies Around the World might not even ring a bell with the local supermarket produce manager. Following is an “Exotic Fruit and Herb 101,” highlighting the origin, taste, and reported health benefits of the key ingredients found in Açaí Adventure, Green Tea Tango, Passion Passport, Go Goji, and Mangosteen Madness:
Smoothies Around the World Facts
About Smoothie King Franchises, Inc.
Smoothie King is a privately held New Orleans-area-based franchise company and the premier Smoothie Bar and Nutritional Lifestyle Center in the industry. Smoothie King centers offer to their guests the industry’s first and original nutritional fruit and function-based, fresh blended smoothies. Each "Lifestyle Center" also offers healthy retail product solutions, including sport beverages, energy bars, healthy snacks, vitamin supplements, herbs, minerals, and other sports nutrition products. Smoothie King opened its first store in 1973 and started as the first franchised smoothie bar/health food store business in the United States in 1989. Smoothie King currently has more than 380 units operating in 34 states, including 10 international locations in Seoul, Korea. For more information, visit www.smoothieking.com.